USA SW Symposium in DC - when?

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Jul 9 19:14:39 UTC 2006

> Val,
> perhaps u can set up a workshop at CSD Riverside?
> Shane

Deaf Americans who use SignWriting should teach at the Deaf
Residential Schools in the US...there are 2 in every state...so that
is 100 schools!

If a group of Deaf teachers can come with me, to teach the workshop
that would be ok...but it is imperative that Deaf people do the
teaching. Most of my own countrymen do not realize SignWriting
exists, and it is such a new subject for them that they really need
to learn from Deaf people...They do not know me like you do ;-)

And traveling is not so easy for me ...so it is better that others
teach, and I provide the backup with materials and other support. I
do think having a teacher's training course in my home here in La
Jolla will be very valuable...Then those teachers who learn with me
can start going to the different schools...so if there are teachers
who want to learn directly with me, write to me privately. I do not
have the funds to pay anyone to do this however, but I provide
lodging at least.

This July I am working with Cherie Wren to encourage the Georgia
School for the Deaf to start using some SignWriting this school year.
This means I need to raise the funds to pay Deaf teachers to travel
to Georgia to train the teachers at the school...and Cherie is
providing excellent backup and feedback for the project...and that is
partly why these Nursery Rhymes in ASL are important, so that Cherie
can assist the teachers at the school...

We have a team of two American Deaf teachers who can teach workshops
around the world now, plus I know of other Deaf teachers who might be
interested too...

The CSD Riverside school was across from our booth at the NAD
conference...they had a booth too...and I spoke with two hearing
interpreters about using SignWriting at their school, but they were
not the director of the school...so that has to wait until we are
ready...we are not quite ready, Shane...we need more literature to
read and true funding...but it will happen...

Thanks for the suggestion. And what is happening in Northern Ireland
now, with SignWriting? Do you need backup or materials? If so, ask
the teachers to fill out these forms for the SignWriting Literacy
Project:

http://www.signwriting.org/forums/teachers/teach001.html

Belgium did that...Kathleen in Flanders and Thierry's groups in
French-Belgium...both groups filled out the forms and sent me the
letter from the school..I am printing the books for French-Belgium
now and will donate them to them....;-)