SignWriting is not a computer program...

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Jul 30 16:02:35 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
July 30, 3006

Dear SW List, Stefan and Everyone!

SignWriting is not a computer program! There may be 100 computer
programs in the future, for creating SignWriting documents, email and
so forth...but no matter what computer program you use...SignWriting
is still a writing system that is written by hand and by computer,
with several computer programs.

Before the year 2000 I had trouble encouraging SignWriting users to
use a computer to type SignWriting. The old SignWriting users from
the 1980s wrote by hand only, and it was very hard to encourage them
to gain computer skills at the time.

Now it has reversed. The new SignWriting users of the late 1990's and
2000's, are dependent on computers and have not become used to
writing by hand...

So you can see that life keeps changing, and I have no choice but to
change with it...

Right now, we have six computer programs for creating SignWriting
documents:

1. SignWriter DOS
2. SignWriter Java
3. SW-Edit
4. SignPuddle
5. SignText
6. SignBank

And perhaps there are more that I do not know about!!

THANK YOU to all the software developers who have created these
wonderful programs.

And THANK YOU to all the future programmers, who will develop more
useful programs for SignWriting. Every new program is welcome!!

Meanwhile, I personally have chosen to give technical support for
SignPuddle, SignText and SignBank. I cannot continue to sell
SignWriter DOS on our web site, because people who buy it are upset
and disappointed that it does not work in Windows XP...so I need to
improve our web sites so that I explain it better to users...

And last...life doesn't stand still....it keeps moving on...so if any
of you would like to learn how to use SignText, and you feel
frustrated, let's make a telephone or videophone appointment, and I
can help you in person daily if you wish, until you become skilled.

Who hasn't tried to create a SignText document yet, on the List?
Write to me privately, and let me help you learn!

I can also help you privately to learn to write by hand...just
contact me...my contact information is below...

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

2. SignBank
Create Sign Language Databases
http://www.SignBank.org

3. SignPuddle
Create Sign Language Dictionaries
http://www.SignPuddle.org

4. SignText
Create Sign Language Documents
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/signtext

5. SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions to the List

6. DanceWriting
Read & Write Dance Movement
http://www.DanceWriting.org

7. MovementWriting