AW: [sw-l] Ethiopian Handshapes in the IMWA

Wed Jul 12 20:09:18 UTC 2006

Hi Valerie, Eyasu and friends of EMA

I agree and I can understand that it is an immense task to create all the
sets of 96 symbols for one single handshape -

Let me suggest the following procedure. I can immagine the the Ethiopian
experts are the only people to tell us what they really see, sign, feel -
smile - while performing their fingerspelling

Perhaps you can suggest a first idea on how you would write a given
handshape - and some of them look so complicated -

If our team would discuss this spelling you will know that you don#t waste
any precious time with creating new symbols if in the end the experts focus
on a detail that has not been obvious to us -

(I know what I am talking about because it took us so many back and forth
emails to clarify what we should agree upon - while I tried to take the same
fotos - ha it has not been easy at all !!!)

Attached you find a first graphic with my best guess how to write the
handshapes in SW.

This proposed procedure is just an idea - it has not to happen if you prefer
a different strategy.

Stefan ;-)