LESSON Finger Bends Middle Joint Closes

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Sat Jun 17 02:46:16 UTC 2006

Well, we do have some signs in ASL where the bending actually occurs
during a movement ... for example, the sign for SELFISH, the bending
actually occurs simultaneously with the movement toward the body. This
could be captured by a beginning to ending handshape, but if we wanted
to use the squeeze symbol in that sign, how could we specify if the
squeeze happened before the movement, during the movement, or after the
movement?

Another example is when the bending occurs at a specific spot in a
circular movement. For example, in the sign meaning to question
someone, the bending occurs on the far side of the side circle away
from the body and never by the near side of the circle close to the
body. Theoretically, the bending could occur in some other sign near
the body instead of away from the body or even possibly occur in
alternating positions, I suppose.

In these cases, if we wanted to capture the specific timing of the
bend, we wondered how that could be specified. The simplest approach
that occurred to us is putting the squeeze near the arrow where the
bending is supposed to occur. Would that work or is there a different
way to do it?

Thanks,

Stuart