SignWriting Mission Statement

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jun 19 13:08:31 UTC 2006

I'd change the first sentence:

  To provide all Sign Language users a written form for their languages..... (and shouldn't the last sentence be.... Sign Writing is "a" written form for all sign languages."

  Although Sign Writing and Sutton Movement Writing in general CAN write all movement, HamNoSys and Stokoe notation are written forms of particular signed languages so the sentence is not true with "the" as in "the only".  It is true if one says that

  Sign Writing is the only writing system that "CAN" write all sign languages and it is our mission to tell the world that signed languages are now written languages.

  Mission: To provide all Sign Language users a written form for their language.To provide all Deaf cultures written Sign Language Literature to preserve their Sign Language poetry, stories, and to document their native language. To raise the literacy levels and self-esteem of all Sign Language users, placing their languages equally beside spoken languages, on library shelves. SignWriting is the written form for all Sign Languages, and it is our mission to tell the world that Sign Languages are now written languages!

  Val ;-)

Valerie Sutton <signwriting at MAC.COM> wrote:  SignWriting List  June 18, 2006

  Hello Mark and Bill...
  This is an excellent example, that even an old writing system like English, can have different ways of writing grammar, depending on the writer and the reader! The sentence is a long and complicated one...

  What about a paragraph like this instead?