Young children learning SignWriting?

Anne-Claude Pr=?ISO-8859-1?B?6Q==?=laz Girod acpg at VTXNET.CH
Thu Jun 22 20:36:31 UTC 2006

I have no experience for now about teaching SW to the kids but I think
reading skills are quite easy with SW because the sign on the papers has
lots of similarities with the real sign (iconicity)... really young children
can easily understand SW words...

I think it's not that easy for writing SW...
in order to know how to write a sign... one has to be able to thinks on
one's own language... (we need metalinguistic skills which are acquired
later on in the language development..)...

but reading  and writing sign languages with SW  is for sure less difficult
than  reading  and writing an oral language!! (again because it's more
iconic!!) so I bet we can start pretty early to teach deaf kids about this
wonderfull system!

my 2 cents

Anny