Stokoe Notation compared to SignWriting

Frank frankbyrom at ISP.COM
Wed Mar 1 16:11:45 UTC 2006

Dear Val,
   The "Basic ASL Dictionary" is my planned title.  I'll post Appendix two
to you today, if I remember.  Do you suppose that your "Absent Mindedness"
is contageous?  Via my "ViewSonic" PC screen ?(I would have said Monitor,
but I can't spell it).
   The concepts I chose to include in my dictionary were my "Sample space"
Val.  The ASL vocabulary is the field, Signs I drew and wrote, "The
ChosenOnes"; these were my "Samples" of the total vocabulary list.  Of the
area of signing,I chose a smaller space to stuff into my glorious endeavor.
   The Linguist C.K. Ogden proposed his Basic English ("Basic English,
International Second Language") for an International language--to help unite
the world in a family and stop fighting.  Roosevelt and Churchill praised
Basic English.   The acquisition of a second language is my interest Val;
the way people learn and how to encourage language acquisition effectively.
When I learn English, I'll consider teaching it.
   I'm surprised you're not a master with Stokoe Notation; Surely
competitors should know whom they strive with to use his strengths and avoid
his faults. I've been continually struck with similarities in the analysis
of SW, Stokoe and Labanotation.  The greatest real difference is the manner
of symbolization.  Because your own analysis and that of Bill Stokoe is so
similar, I'd suspect you're actually ambilanguagous; I fear bilingual might
imply you hold your pen in your teeth, so I hesitate to write bilingual.
Besides, SW only involves the tongue if you cluck while you write.
   I drew the dictionary because I needed it, Val.  No single respected
source of ASL information had all the concepts I most often thought and
espressed myself with.  I made abstracts of commended dictionaries, compared
what they said, and consulted the Deaf Community to fill in the spaces these
resources (eg Costello, Sternberg and Riekehof) did not speak to.  My first
edition, then, is eclectic, it immortalizes aspects of the visual language
ASL drawn from sources in Utah (Wilson), Lexington , Mass (Sternberg) and
Gallaudet Univ. (Stokoe), etc.
   Hope your week is going well.  I began this week charmed by your
visualization of signing into pictographs of hands.  Language tends to the
abstract as it matures, until it reaches the stages of Inoculatte and
Decafalon, the drug trade of intellectuals.  The first meaning mainlining
coffee when running late in the morning, the second an ordeal of getting
through the day without coffee.  Your plump yummy pictographs have restored
me to the world of reality.
    Sincerely yours, Frank