Stokoe Notation compared to SignWriting

Wed Mar 1 17:52:45 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
March 1, 2006

On Mar 1, 2006, at 8:15 AM, Frank wrote:

> A lovely bear, Val.  So you are an accomplished user of Stokoe's
> notation.
> Frank

Frank!
I have never written a sign in Stokoe notation in my life! Nor would
I want to, since I am not a trained expert and wouldn't dare for the
long article we have on the web...I asked different experts to do the
writing for those diagrams...people who were skilled in each writing
system...

Those diagrams were taken from this web page:

> A comparison between three systems...
>
> Read more:
> http://www.signwriting.org/forums/linguistics/ling001.html

If you read that web page, and scroll down to the bottom, you will
see the credits as to who wrote what...

The Stokoe notation was written by Joe Martin...Hi Joe!

The HamNoSys was written by an expert in HamNoSys notation, from
Hamburg Germany...

And I wrote the SignWriting...if you go to that web page you can see
our Shorthand system too...so that web article, which goes for pages
and pages, has three authors and a lot more detail that the diagram I
showed you...

Here are the credits for the writing: