ASL Facial Adverbs, Sentence 5

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Mar 9 17:50:05 UTC 2006

The only problem I have with this, is that it takes a full page to display and write. It's readable, clear, and well formed, but...if we are to have any long-term effect, Sign Writing has got to be reduced to columns that actually can fit on printed pages without going to VOLUMES.  We need to do experiments in how small the drawings can go, but right now there is a LOT of empty space on the page that is just not necessary, even with lanes.  Chinese can be written all the way down to 10 point type size and be readable, so could the old Sign Writing newspapers.  I'd hesitate to show this illustration in a daily reader.  The same five signs can take up less than two inches by 3 inches and still be readable.

  Is there any work being done in this direction for actual printed publications anymore.

  Charles

  Charles Butler

sutton at signwriting.org wrote:
                                                                                                          Above:   Sentence 5 of 8 sentences from the article:     ASL FACIAL ADVERBS   Signed in American Sign Language by George Butch Zein   ASL Transcribed from Video by Dr. Karen van Hoek   English Translation by Dr. Karen van Hoek   Published in the SignWriter Newsletter, Fall 1992     Re-written in vertical columns with the new   SignText Computer Program, March 9, 2006   http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/index.html#SignTextEditor     An example of a sentence using the TH-Adverb:     English translation of the SignWriting above:   "That man over there is nothing to me. He came over to me, thinking that I was frightened of him, when in fact, I was not frightened of him at all."

  Load message into SignText    Courtesy of SignBank.org