left, right and together arrows

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Mar 10 12:01:44 UTC 2006

I agree with all of these provisos, Ingvild, particularly #4, "crowding of symbols".  Sometimes you have to come up with clarity by a shortcut rather than long writing.

  Charles

Ingvild Roald <iroald at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:
  For years we in Norway have been using the 'together' arrow when the two
hands are moving as a unit, even if they are not touching. This will be when
the hands are in certain classifier shapes, and what is 'really' moving is
the thing that the hand holds between them. Just general 'paralell' is not
enough for our use of the 'both' arrow (sorry Stefan, I know I have written
some signs violating this rule, as you have pointed out).

Personally, and with at least some deaf Norwegian signers behind me, I feel
that the 'togheter' arrow should be used (prioritized list)
1) when the two hands are painting the same route, contact or no contact
2) when the two hands are moving in contact, even if the routes do not
overlap
3) when the two hands are moving as a unit, as in some classifier signs,
even if they are not touching
4) when the sign would otherwise be hard to read because of crowding of
symbols.

Ingvild