SignWriting Terminology

Tue Mar 21 22:13:06 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
March 21, 2006

Stephen Slevinski wrote:
>> alphabet is a sequence of ordered symbols.

Steve! I think I know where your confusion is....The definition you
wrote above is for the word ALPHABET, but not specifically for the
ROMAN alphabet.

There are many alphabets in the world..

GREEK Alphabet
ROMAN Alphabet
RUSSIAN Alphabet

I guess all Alphabets place symbols in a sequence or order...that is
for sure, and that is why SignWriting is considered an alphabet too...

But what makes the ROMAN alphabet ROMAN? The symbols themselves look
different than the symbols in the GREEK alphabet...

And there is another thing that is unique to the ROMAN alphabet...the
Roman Alphabet is used to write MORE than just one spoken
language...GREEK writes GREEK, but is not used to write Spanish, but
the Roman Alphabet is used to write Spanish, French, English and many
other western spoken languages...that is why SignWriting is more like
the ROMAN ALPHABET than other alphabets...because it writes multiple