FRENCH-SWISS Sign for Cognac

Mon May 1 14:11:53 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
May 1, 2006

Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod from French-Switzerland wrote:
> I 'm not sure about where I'm supposed to write the circles in this
> particular sign /COGNAC/...should the circle be written underneath
> or on top of the sign....I couldn't fin d arule about circle
> placment in the e-lessons....

Hello Anne-Claude and SW List!
The circle can be placed above or below...either choice is fine. Did
you know that the placement of the arrows on the circle shows exactly
where the circle begins? The arrows on the thinner part of the circle
means that the hand starts the circles far away from the chest. The
arrows on the fatter (darker) part of the circle means the hand
starts the circles closer to the chest...

So if possible, placing the handshape near the arrows on the circle
is easier to read, and therefore if I were to choose, I would choose
your first writing (see attached)...but that is not a rule....just my
personal preference...so both writings are fine!