ASL how to write WHAT GOES AROUND...

Wed May 17 02:58:58 UTC 2006

Stuart wrote:
> Hmm ... That sounds like an English phrase rather than an ASL phrase.
> Or am I getting confused? :)  I don't think that is a literal ASL
> phrase. Adam or Philip, what do you think? Am I forgetting something?
> Stuart

You are absolutely right! That is an English phrase and the person
asked me how to sign a translation of that into ASL...the meaning
into ASL...so it might take a paragraph in ASL to explain the meaning
of the English phrase...

The person wanted the meaning written in ASL...

Probably too hard...

Just like idiomatic phrases in Danish have no literal translation in
English, but translators can at least write a paragraph in English
explaining what the meaning behind the Danish idiomatic phrase is ...

There is one in Danish I always loved to quote to show people what I
mean...it makes no sense in English but it makes a lot of sense in
Danish!

LIKE THAT IS IT SO MUCH

that is the English gloss for a Danish idiomatic phrase...It means
something like " that is the way the cookie crumbles" or something
like that!

idiomatic phrases are not cross-cultural...and this person wants to
write it in a tatoo on their arm...a SignWriting tatoo!