ASL how to write WHAT GOES AROUND...

Wed May 17 18:55:56 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
May 17, 2006

Adam Frost wrote:
> And to tell you the truth, ASL grammar "screams" for and object to
> give and get in the current translation. Val is right that it would
> take more than just a few signs to sign it in ASL. Two or three
> hypothetical scenarios would have to be shown to explain what is
> being said.
>
> Now that it looks like I have contradicted myself in saying that it
> would work as a translation and then it won't, I will explain what
> I mean. Because English is a majority language, most(!) deaf people
> have some basic understanding of it. Therefore, it can be
> understood what is meant with the current translation, which is
> more accurately called a transliteration.

Yes...well explained Adam, and I can't imagine how anyone could argue
this...of course it is not a true translation because idiomatic
phrases are based on so much more than just the words or signs
themselves, but based on culture and the understanding of the world,
based on that language's perspectives...very complex!

Meanwhile, I get daily email from very nice people (strangers) who
innocently ask for something written in SignWriting which they
themselves do not realize is very hard to translate or write! This
one was for a tatoo in SignWriting...

You won't believe the next one...see next message...a Deaf man asked
for the tombstone of his wife to be written in SignWriting (I think
that is what he wants, but I am not sure)...