Crab

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 6 19:18:02 UTC 2006

I think No. 3 is the closest as that would tend to show the whole hand wiggling in and out.

  Thanks.

Valerie Sutton <signwriting at MAC.COM> wrote:
  SignWriting List
November 6, 2006

> Charles Butler wrote:
> I'm working on a flash card publication and I came across this sign
> that seems to have a handshape not currently in IMWA. I've done it
> as best I can here, but it's missing the 4th and 5th fingers which
> pinch as the claws of a crab. I wasn't sure how to overlay those
> 4th and 5th fingers to be able to show them as trying to add them
> doesn't seem easily possible.
>
> Here is my attempt. Followed by a link to the page (with permission
> of the Author).
> http://www.dicionariolibras.com.br/website/dicionariolibras/
> dicionario.asp?cod=124&categoria=5#Scene_1
> caranguejo (fresh-water crab).

-----------

Hello Charles!
Thanks for this message. Attached are two ways that I would write
this sign. I visited the web link above and looked at the sign, and
for me anyway, it looks like the fingers are wiggling back and
forth...so I added the Finger Movement.

Regarding new symbols in the IMWA...you are right that technically
that handshape is not in the IMWA. The symbol we are using in this
writing is very close however, and close enough that I think it is ok
to write it this way for now...

To be very accurate, a new symbol would have to be added to the IMWA
to show the fact that the base of the hand is not a square. The
square rootshape means that the fingertips of the fourth and fifth
fingers are touching the palm of the hand, and obviously that is not
true. The handshape really should have a C-shape as its rootshape,
showing that the fourth and fifth fingers (the lowest fingers in the
handshape) are in the shape of a C or curved...

But since my schedule is full right now, I will not be able to add
this new symbol to the IMWA for some time...I think the way we have
written this is ok for now!

Thanks for your message...(see attached diagram)...Val ;-)