Order of writing

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue Nov 21 17:09:16 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
November 21, 2006

Hi Adam!
Great to hear from you...and thanks for this input...

Adam Frost wrote:
> There isn't really an "offical" order for writing signs - or at
> least that I know of.

You are right about that...and it probably should be kept flexible. I
have been experimenting lately with trying to see if I could write in
the Sequence of the SSS, but it doesn't always feel natural...

> There is something that is close which is called SignSpelling, but
> my understanding is that is for ordering for an alphabetical sense.

Yes. Exactly. As you know, there is a booklet about that issue:

SignSpelling Guidelines
http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs2/sw0145-SignSpelling-2004.pdf

It is slightly out-of-date, but still an interesting historic
document showing how we were thinking in 2004!

In time I hope to create an updated version of this document, after
SignPuddle 2.0 is released, because the new software is amazing
regarding creating SignSpellings and will influence our document
creation in the future in a very positive way...

> It really don't have a whole lot of effect on how to order the
> writing of the sign.
> Having said that, I find that when I write signs that I tend to
> follow the thinking that you outlined without really thinking about
> it. It just kinda seems to fall in that order because I can't place
> a handshape that has contact with the head without there being a
> head etc.

Exactly! I fell into the same patterns..so we are experiencing the
same...that is good to know!

> Maybe others on the list have other comments, and if I a truly off
> track, I hope that they (maybe Val) can set us straight. LOL.

Ha! No need to be set straight...let's keep writing open and natural...

Your input is valuable - thank you!!