SignText Video Instruction in Quicktime

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue Oct 17 02:10:56 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
October 16, 2006

Steve - You are doing so much for us! I am most amazed and grateful
for the drag and drop system you have created for us...It is a
miracle how fast I can create a sentence...has anyone noticed how
fast I created that sentence in the video? I do not bother with going
down layers most of the time but get the upper symbol and then use
the command keys to rotate and flop the symbol and also I use the
Fill Key to change the palm facing...that is very very similar to the
way it would be typed in SignWriter DOS - those special command keys
are exactly taken from our typing system in SignWriter DOS, so I
think that if Ron could really study the way I created that sentence
in the video, you will see that I was using keys with the mouse, that
are exactly the same as in SignWriter DOS special command keys...

the dragging and dropping is much faster than I believe people
realize, because of the combination with the special command keys
with the dragging and dropping and in the long run, I believe that
SignPuddle is at least equal to the speed of creating sentences with
SignWriter DOS right now...we could time me creating a sentence with
SWDOS and SignText and I bet the SignText would be at least equal...

So look at the video again to see how much I use the command keys...

teaching people to type directly in SignWriting symbols with
SignWriter DOS never went well because most people pasted from the
dictionary and never learned to really type directly...

That is why it is so important to create sentences directly in
SignText without pasting signs in from SignPuddle...creating the
signs without pasting is better for the grammar of the language
because the writer puts more unique facial expressions in
automatically when they are not being forced into an exact sign from
a dictionary..

Val ;-)