SignText Video Instruction in Quicktime

Tue Oct 17 15:25:00 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
October 17, 2006

Cherie -
You are doing beautifully! All you need is a three-day workshop with
me and your questions would be answered. Maybe we can arrange for you
and a few others on your staff to travel to San Diego to study with
me...

But having said that, you are one of the most skilled with SignText
in the world right now, Cherie, and I am grateful for your wonderful
documents!!

On another side note, the SW List software (the software that posts
our messages) is not doing well. I noticed that members of the
TeachASL List are having the same problem. I have tried to post
around 6 times this morning and none of my emails have reached the
List...if this one does, it is the first to succeed and it is quite
frustrating!

So maybe I should start a private List just for SignWriting and
SignText instruction? and people will have to write to me privately
to sign up, and we can send messages back and forth between a small
group of us?

That might solve the problem for now...

Is there anyone who wants to study with me in that way privately?

Val ;-)

On Oct 17, 2006, at 5:06 AM, Cherie Wren wrote:

> When I first got interested in SignWriting, it was
> when the SWDOS program was all that was available.  I
> downloaded it, looked at it, and felt so completely
> overwhelmed that I gave up.  When I came back, it was
> to the SignPuddle, not yet SignText.  It was no longer
> overwhelming.  I could SEE what I was doing, whereas
> on the SWDOS, I could not.  On that, I saw my regular
> keyboard, and had no idea how to make it into a
> signwriting keyboard. There was no "Lessons in
> Signwriting: book then either...
>
> It does feel slow, but thats because I'm still not
> always certain exactly what I'm doing.  I really need
> to try to write a little everyday to build up
> confidence and speed...  I go into the layers with
> rotations because I need to see what my options are
> and pick just the right one.  I don't always know
> --without seeing choices--  which symbol I need.  I
> also sign while I'm writing--  still "sounding out"
> (Feeling out? :-) what I'm doing, which makes my
> coworker who shares the office laugh at me...
> ::grin::
>
> cherie
>
> --- Valerie Sutton <signwriting at MAC.COM> wrote:
>
>> SignWriting List
>> October 16, 2006
>>
>> Steve - You are doing so much for us! I am most
>> amazed and grateful
>> for the drag and drop system you have created for
>> us...It is a
>> miracle how fast I can create a sentence...has
>> anyone noticed how
>> fast I created that sentence in the video? I do not
>> bother with going
>> down layers most of the time but get the upper
>> symbol and then use
>> the command keys to rotate and flop the symbol and
>> also I use the
>> Fill Key to change the palm facing...that is very
>> very similar to the
>> way it would be typed in SignWriter DOS - those
>> special command keys
>> are exactly taken from our typing system in
>> SignWriter DOS, so I
>> think that if Ron could really study the way I
>> created that sentence
>> in the video, you will see that I was using keys
>> with the mouse, that
>> are exactly the same as in SignWriter DOS special
>> command keys...
>>
>> the dragging and dropping is much faster than I
>> believe people
>> realize, because of the combination with the special
>> command keys
>> with the dragging and dropping and in the long run,
>> I believe that
>> SignPuddle is at least equal to the speed of
>> creating sentences with
>> SignWriter DOS right now...we could time me creating
>> a sentence with
>> SWDOS and SignText and I bet the SignText would be
>> at least equal...
>>
>> So look at the video again to see how much I use the
>> command keys...
>>
>> teaching people to type directly in SignWriting
>> symbols with
> [...]

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

2. SignBank
Create Sign Language Databases
http://www.SignBank.org

3. SignPuddle
Create Sign Language Dictionaries
http://www.SignPuddle.org

4. SignText
Create Sign Language Documents
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/signtext

5. SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions to the List

6. DanceWriting
Read & Write Dance Movement
http://www.DanceWriting.org

7. MovementWriting