french Switzerland and SignWriting

Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod acpg at VTXNET.CH
Wed Oct 18 20:08:54 UTC 2006

Dear Val...

as I told you a few weeks ago I'm working with the team (deaf and
hearing) of the site www.Pisourd.ch... in order to introduce them to
SignWriting... in the new version of their site... (which will
probably be online in november) there will be the signed definitions
of words (on different themes (like health, sexuality, drugs,
etc....) and there will also be these sequences written in
signWriting....
I'm trying to enter all the different signs for them... and hope to
find a group to work with me on the control of my writing (like in
other languages... it's always easier to see someone else's mis-
splelling.... (I'd love to have other take part in the writing
process itself... but it seems like everyone is too busy for that!!!)

beside that... we had a second 2 days workshop here in french
Switzerland beginning of September... deaf sign langauge teachers and
sign language interpreters could participate.... it was not a big
group (only 10 participants) but it was very dynamic!!! I really
enjoyed teaching this course with one of the deaf teacher and friend
working at the deaf school in Fribourg  called Bernard Morel.

Bernard aslo made a presentation for the teachers and other
professional working in his school mid of september.... some of them
are interesting starting using it in their class!

Beside that.... and to show you how SignEcriture grows round
here..... I was asked by the "centre culturel des sourds" (Cultural
center for the deaf) to give a conference on SignWriting in
january... so that people can get informed about this method (which
they already discovered in my article written in the deaf journal....
some months ago!).... the girl in charge of organising the conference
participated in the 2 days workshop in february.... and she said the
deaf center could propose courses of SignWriting if people chow
interest into it.... I'll let you know how things go in january....!

I was also asked by another deaf friend... if I would accept to teach
a signwriting course into the deaf school of Lausanne where he's
teaching....

As you can see.... lots and lots to do... many people wanting to
learn this beautiful writing method....
that's good news for me! and I'm happy about it... (even if I fear
about not having time to do everything!!!)

I'll let you jknow about how things evolve....

till then... have a nice day everyone!

Anny