french Switzerland and SignWriting

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Oct 19 16:03:45 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
October 19, 2006

Hello Anny!
Thanks for this report!

Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod from French-Switzerland wrote:
> as I told you a few weeks ago I'm working with the team (deaf and
> hearing) of the site www.Pisourd.ch... in order to introduce them
> to SignWriting... in the new version of their site... (which will
> probably be online in november) there will be the signed
> definitions of words (on different themes (like health, sexuality,
> drugs, etc....) and there will also be these sequences written in
> signWriting....

Wonderful! I look forward to seeing the new web site ;-)

> I'm trying to enter all the different signs for them... and hope to
> find a group to work with me on the control of my writing (like in
> other languages... it's always easier to see someone else's mis-
> splelling.... (I'd love to have other take part in the writing
> process itself... but it seems like everyone is too busy for that!!!)

Congratulations on all you are doing, Anny...You are laying the
groundwork for others to continue later...Of course it would be nice
for you to have a bigger team in the process...keep asking questions
to the SW List when you have a question on Spelling...

Time is always a problem for adults, who are working full time
etc....not enough time to devote to learning SignWriting...so maybe
the younger generation...students...might be able to help you later?

> beside that... we had a second 2 days workshop here in french
> Switzerland beginning of September... deaf sign langauge teachers
> and sign language interpreters could participate.... it was not a
> big group (only 10 participants) but it was very dynamic!!! I
> really enjoyed teaching this course with one of the deaf teacher
> and friend working at the deaf school in Fribourg  called Bernard
> Morel.

So there was a SignWriting Workshop in French Switzerland this
year...congrats!

> Bernard aslo made a presentation for the teachers and other
> professional working in his school mid of september.... some of
> them are interesting starting using it in their class!

Wow. Now there is a group of students for you, who might be able to
team up with you later!

> Beside that.... and to show you how SignEcriture grows round
> here..... I was asked by the "centre culturel des sourds" (Cultural
> center for the deaf) to give a conference on SignWriting in
> january... so that people can get informed about this method (which
> they already discovered in my article written in the deaf
> journal.... some months ago!).... the girl in charge of organising
> the conference participated in the 2 days workshop in february....
> and she said the deaf center could propose courses of SignWriting
> if people chow interest into it.... I'll let you know how things go
> in january....!

Excellent!! ;-)

> I was also asked by another deaf friend... if I would accept to
> teach a signwriting course into the deaf school of Lausanne where
> he's teaching....

This is amazing...you are really starting the ball rolling now...

> As you can see.... lots and lots to do... many people wanting to
> learn this beautiful writing method....
> that's good news for me! and I'm happy about it... (even if I fear
> about not having time to do everything!!!)
>
> I'll let you jknow about how things evolve....
>
> till then... have a nice day everyone!

THANK YOU, Anny, for this wonderful report...your work is blossoming
even though you don't have enough time! ;-)))

Very good news all around!