UK Deaf leader argues for video technology

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Oct 19 16:20:01 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
October 19, 2006

Shane Gilchrist O hEorpa in Belfast wrote:
> Was talking to a deaf leader in England about that system - he said
> that its no good - what with the development in video technology i.e.
> video messages etc - so why the signwriting etc?
>
> I said having videomessages etc will not improve kids' literacy in
> BSL/NISL but having SW will do.
>
> beside, technology isnt good at keeping stuff - SW can be printed on
> any paper and that they ll be still there 500 years away :-)

Hello Shane and Everyone!

Those are good points, Shane...

So did you invite the Deaf leader to the SignWriting Workshop on Oct
27th at DCAL? ;-))

Double-dare him to come to the workshop to see if he has the courage
to look at it...

When people give me the video argument, I say:

"People did not stop writing English when audio recording equipment
was invented!"

Written English transcripts are very helpful combined with audio
CDs ;-))

No different with written Sign Language and videos...they help each
other....

I know you know this, Shane...I am just spouting off right now - ha!