UK Deaf leader argues for video technology

Sandy Fleming sandy at SCOTSTEXT.ORG
Thu Oct 19 16:51:55 UTC 2006

Valerie Sutton wrote:

> When people give me the video argument, I say:
>
> "People did not stop writing English when audio recording equipment
> was invented!"

It's a funny thing, but some science fiction writers have written of
futures where everybody becomes illiterate because the voice can be
recorded now. It doesn't seem to be happening!

Besides, on video or DVD I keep having press the rewind key to remind
myself or re-check what someone signed, or have to sit waiting till it
gets to the bit I want to see (either backwards or forwards), or I have
to keep choosing things from menus. And I can't sit writing sign
language poetry under a tree on the banks of a river if I have to set up
a load of electrical equipment first, can I?

Technology is good for what it's good for, and not good for what it's
not good for - and very often it's not much good for what it's supposed
to be good for!

Sandy (...off to read in the bath for a while :)