SignText email - how many symbols in URL allowed

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Oct 26 16:48:46 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
October 26, 2006

Hello Bill, Stefan and everyone!
This is easily solved, but it is important not to use symbols that
can be confused with other symbols!

The problem with using the symbols that you attached, Bill, is that
those have another meaning...those particular symbols are used to
show continuous gradual movement over time...so they cannot be used...

And the straight single line that Stefan and James Shepard-Kegl used
in horizontal writing will be mis-read as a hyphen in vertical
writing, so a single line should not be used either...

Although I personally can read Sign-Names easily within a text, if
people really feel they need to have the equivalent of a capital
letter in written spoken languages, there are ways to do that...

We could inter-mix sizes of symbols inside the document, so the Sign-
Names would be slightly larger than the rest of the signs in the
document...or we can create a special symbol that ONLY can be used
for capitalization of proper names...

But the hypen and the curves are not the symbols to use for that!

But thanks so much for your ideas and please know I am not
discounting them...just trying to find a solution that cannot be
confused with anything else...that's all! So your ideas are always
welcome of course!!

Val ;-)

---------