Sutton Fingerspelling Font

Sat Sep 2 21:16:15 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
September 2, 2006
> No problem with the installing, I just wanted to know, how many
> finegrspelling alphabets are available as True Types and now you
> have helped me giving the above link :-). Thank you. One more
> question: what should you do to have your SL fingerspelling as a
> True Type font?
>  Lucy
-----------

Hi Lucy and Everyone!

True Type fonts are usually developed by professional typographers,
who make their living doing nothing but create fonts for people...but
True Type can also be developed by programmers who need the fonts for
their software development. Two very different professions...

And now, with personal computers, others, like teachers and
bookwriters, can develop their own True Type...although it is a great
deal of work and takes some skill...the computer program used for
this is usually Fontographer, and it is not an easy program to learn.
I have never learned it.

Each series of True Type fonts (also called a Font Family) has a
distinct style of the designer. The Font Family either takes the last
name of the designer, or, if that name is already taken, then the
designer provides a unqiue name that becomes like a trademark for the
Font Family...

Some Font Families are:

Helvetica
Arial
Palatino

etc...

all those names are names of a series of fonts...

In SignWriting, we have a several Font Families:

Sutton Fonts
for SignWriting Fingerspelling
(designed by typographer Michael Everson)
http://www.signwriting.org/catalog/sw214.html

Woehrmann Fonts
(designed by Stefan Woehrmann)
http://www.gebaerdenschrift.de/

Parkhurst Fonts
(designed by Steve and Dianne Parkhurst)
http://signwriting.org/spain/parkhurst/

Machado Fonts
(SVG version of the SSS-2004)
http://www.movementwriting.org/symbolbank/IMWA-Downloads.html

I will write to Michael to ask him if he can create a Polish
Fingerspelling font for you in the Sutton Font Family style...

Thanks for your question!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
Read & Write Sign Languages
http://www.SignWriting.org

2. SignBank
Create Sign Language Databases
http://www.SignBank.org

3. SignPuddle
Create Sign Language Dictionaries
http://www.SignPuddle.org

4. SignText
Create Sign Language Documents
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/signtext

5. SignWriting List
Technical Support: Ask questions to the List

6. DanceWriting
Read & Write Dance Movement
http://www.DanceWriting.org

7. MovementWriting