Report on SW workshop in Prague by Lucy

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Sep 28 17:02:31 UTC 2006

SignWriting List
September 28, 2006

Hello Lucy, Honza and Everyone!

THANK YOU for this excellent report. And congratulations on a
successful workshop!

I am busy creating a web page for this report, and also Honza's
report, so that we have an historic record of the event. As soon as
the web page is ready, I will share it with you...I will place the
photos on the web page too...is that ok with you?

Have a great day!

Val ;-)

----------------

On Sep 27, 2006, at 10:25 AM, Lucy wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: Lucy
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 6:56 PM
Subject: report on SW workshop in Prague by Lucy

Hi List,
I am finally able to write the report.
Well, as Honza wrote, we had 24 participants on the first day and 18
on the second day. It was a very Slavic/Slavonic workshop and I find
it very important. Brussels or London are too far or too expensive
for many of people of the Eastern part of Europe. Some of the
participants had come for the EFSLI conference first and availed
themselves of the opportunity to take part also in our workshop. One
of the participants was even from outside the EU and had to get a
visa to come to Prague! So, in my opinion, we have done really a good
work, familiarizing the Eastern part of Europe with SignWriting.
On the first day we started with a multimedial presentation on the
genesis and development in SignWriting. It was to be displayed in
English but due to technical problems it was impossible (but later
the problems were solved, after all). I had sent the presentation to
Honza prior to my arrival to Prague, so he translated it into written
Czech and printed it out, so participants could have the SW history
in English or Czech (and this language is relatively easy to
understand also by other Slavs).
I was signing in International Sign that I had learned in Brussels
and, above all, in Nijmegen, Holland this year. But most of the
participants had come across IS for the first time, so they could
hardly understand me. However, Honza helped me a lot here,
interpreting into Czech Sign Language (CZJ). I appreciate it all the
more that he had worked hard at the EFSLI conference and we began
with the workshop directly after that conference.
The materials Honza had received from Val were displayed on a table,
the participants could view them during breaks, and and the end of
the Monday workshop Honza distributed them among the participants. I
can't say anything more about this issue as this was Honza's task.
After the theoretical introduction we started with basic symbols,
writing them on the white board and comparing with our handshapes. I
had two pairs of white and black gloves and they were very helpful
although Honza's palms appeared to be too big :-)
We told the participants about those many computer programs for SW
but as we mostly use SignPuddle, Honza introduced this program to the
partipants. In the end of the Sunday workshop the participants were
able to write their sign names down on paper. But they had still a
problem to understand the operation of SignPuddle, so we focused on
this issue on Monday. I worked at the computer individually with each
participants, and Honza helped the others to write signs on papers. I
had also translated the Goldilocks Level 1 book and a part of
Goldilocks level 3 book into Polish and PJM, and the participants
view it, compared to the ASL versions and tried to read it. I showed
the participants SW materials in Polish that I use to teach PJM to
hearing students, as well as websites of Kasterlinden and Osnabrueck
schools for the deaf and I talked about how deaf childred are taught
there.
I had a camcorder but was too embarased to take any recording, all
the more than there was a Deaf man of Slovenia who had a professional
tv camera. That's why Honza took photos on Monday only.
The atmosphere at the workshop was very good and the participants
were really interested, especially those who were teachers of the Deaf.
We told the participants also about ESWO and the London workshop.
I was very glad to be able to teach SW in workshop and I would like
to thank Honza for good cooperation, and ESWO and Valerie for their
support and materials :-)
I wanted to send Goldilocks level 1 in Polish and PJM to the List but
it appeared to be too large :-). So I'll send it to Val. Val, you can
make a screet shot a page and that will do :-)
Lucy