Changing languages on the Mac

Wed Apr 4 15:39:47 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
April 4, 2007

Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> I think you should be able to tell your operating system to switch
> to a Portuguese keyboard when you need to access the symbols. That
> should allow you to access the diacritics. On the Mac, we have a
> icon on our menu bar that allows us to change keyboards as needed.
> I do this from time to time when I work with Greek or Hebrew.

Yes...that is absolutely correct ;-)

To change languages on the Mac OS X 10.4.9

1. Go to System Preferences
2. Click on International
3. Click on Input Menu
4. Put a check mark by the languages you might want later
5. Put a check mark next to: show input menu in menu bar
6. Then close System Preferences.

You will find a flag up high in the menu bar after that and if you
click on the flag, there is a long list of the language keyboards you
chose, and you can switch from keyboard to keyboard...

It is amazing! I copied Chinese yesterday, from SignPuddle 1.0 to
SignPuddle 1.5...

and I type with a Danish keyboard all the time...only problem is you
have to remember to switch back to English when you are typing English!