Hi, Sign Writer

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Apr 10 20:08:41 UTC 2007

I would completely agree with you there.  I have seen the dramatic differences that cued speech has made for reading ability among the deaf, as the written word is based on the spoken word, and to have the written word in one's own language to me makes all the difference in the world.

  Charles

CWren at doe.k12.ga.us wrote:

Deaf education is, except for a rare few, a failure.  Deaf kids with fully normal intelligence are graduating High School with 3rd grade reading levels.  I don't know where the quote is from, but "if you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you always got".Or was it Einstein's definition of insanity--  doing the same think over and over and expecting different results--  That is to say, if nothing changes, and we continue the same methods as we use now, nothing will change. And that is unacceptable.   Based on some of the research I've done, I think SignWriting may be one piece of the puzzle to solve this problem.  In order for SW to have a place in Deaf Education, there needs to be stuff written in it.  I just keep plugging away to make my contribution....  ::smile::

---------------------------------
Cherie Wren
GSD Staff Interpreter
232 Perry Farm Rd
Cave Spring, GA 30124
706-777-2328
706-766-0766 Cell

This message and any included attachments are from the Georgia School for the Deaf and are intended only for the addressee(s). The information contained herein may include privileged or otherwise confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately, and delete it from your system.

        "Ronald Dettloff" <signpreach at sbcglobal.net>
Sent by: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu   04/10/2007 03:36 PM           Please respond to
sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

  sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu       cc
        Subject
  [sw-l] Hi, Sign Writer

Hi Cherie,

 Nice to see a real interpreter interested in Sign Writing. That tells me something more is going on with your perspectives on Deaf Education?

Rev. Ronald H. Dettloff, 20880 Ten Mile Road, St. Clair Shores, MI 48080
Other Web links:           http://theshoreschurch.org/ME2/Audiences/Default.asp