SW captioned video - Receptive or Expressive?

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Apr 13 17:06:50 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
April 13, 2007

Hello Kelly Jo, Antonio Carlos and Stuart!

Great discussion! I personally agree with videos written with
Receptive SignWriting, only because that was the way I first started
with SignWriting personally...I was writing from videotape so it was
natural for me to write exactly as it was signed on the video...that
was how SignWriting started out and that is why it was Receptive for
the first decade of SignWriting use...

When the Deaf writers requested the change to Expressive, of course
my first argument came to mind, that it would no longer work as well
with videotape transcription...but it was so exciting to see people
really writing expressively in their own language, that it was clear
that when not writing from videotape, the Expressive was the way to
go...

But there is no reason that we could not caption videos in Receptive
SignWriting...that could be an exception, since it would match the
captioning with the signing on the video...

Since it is so easy for someone like myself to switch the document
from Expressive to Receptive, I would suggest that rather than
creating new software for that process right now, let me teach you
all how to do it...There are some symbols that are not an exact
switch...so programming it right now is not necessary and would take
some experience before we know all the ins and outs...

The way to test this, is if Cherie Wren can help me find the correct
document that really matches the video of Little Miss Muffet (can you
point me to it, Cherie?) and if it is already in SignText, then I can
duplicate that exact document and prepare a Receptive version of it
and show it to you...I can send it to the List...

Then we will need James Short, or Adam Frost, to help us put it on
the video again, to see which version we prefer...Recpetive or
Expressive?...

This will be a great experiment!

Val ;-)

-------