Literature building and thanks

CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US CWren at DOE.K12.GA.US
Fri Apr 13 19:53:50 UTC 2007

And Cherie, I noticed other new literature you added - wow - my jaw
is dropping - the library is building!

Most of the stuff today is at the request of a teacher... (well, the
translations, not the writing)  She is going to be doing a trial with an
English Grammar program called the Shurley method.  It incorporates
jingles-- songs and rhymes-- to teach the rules of English Grammar.  This
teacher had seen me doing the ASL poetry nursery rhymes, and asked me to
apply that to this.  This is a much bigger 'translation' than the nursery
rhymes, though, because I pretty much have to drop everything but the
teaching content, and then  =rebuild=   an ASL rhyme or mnemonic.  Its
fun.  And all this writing is really building my speed!

I do have a question/comment though.  Because this system [SW] is so
versatile, I can make clear the minor adjustments I make to a sign when I
write it.  For example the sign SENTENCE is normally signed (and written)
with multiple wrist twists.  For the first jingle, to make the rhythm
work, I signed [and wrote] it with just one wrist twist.  Is one of the
goals of this is to develop a standard way to write a single sign/word?  I
remember seeing a discussion about that at some point in the past.  I
think one of the strengths of the signwriting orthography is that it can
easily accomodate this type of wordplay. The second jingle is done
entirely with the H handshape..  using that handshape to sign noun,
person, place and thing, wow and fun...  its something unique to sign
language.  English (and I am sure other languages, I just don't know them
:-)  plays with words, but it can usually be managed within standarized
spelling (unless you're trying to show a dialect)...  I'm not sure what
I'm trying to say.  Val, I think some day the entire Signing community
will realize what a wonderful gift you have given us, but for now.....
THANK YOU!

---------------------------------
Cherie Wren
GSD Staff Interpreter
232 Perry Farm Rd
Cave Spring, GA 30124
706-777-2328
706-766-0766 Cell

This message and any included attachments are from the Georgia School for
the Deaf and are intended only for the addressee(s). The information
contained herein may include privileged or otherwise confidential
information. If you have received this message in error, please contact
the sender immediately, and delete it from your system.

"Valerie Sutton" <signwriting at MAC.COM>
Sent by: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
04/13/2007 02:41 PM
Please respond to
sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
cc

Subject
Re: [sw-l] Extending login time...

SignWriting List
April 13, 2007

And I know I would also love to extend rest and relaxation time too...
(smile)

Everyone working with SignWriting and SignPuddle right now are doing
so much, it is really inspiring!

Thank you for jumping right in and helping all of us make written
signed languages a reality...

I have noticed myself getting all excited about SignPuddle 1.5 too,
and wanting more and more...that is the level of excitement it is
causing, which is really rewarding...

but we can also take rest and relaxation too...and we must, really.

I am teaching myself to sleep again....I was telling Adam and Kelly
Jo that I didn't really sleep a full night for several months working
on SignPuddle 1.5, right before the conference, and that can build up
on a person...I am doing great..just mentioning that, to point out
that we can become a little sleep deprived because of computer work
that is so fascinating...and we need to be careful...

So let's take it slowly, one step at a time, and we will get there,
like the Tortoise and the Hare story!

By the way, I found that story written by a DAC members years ago in
ASL and I plan to add that to the ASL Literature Library in time...

And Cherie, I noticed other new literature you added - wow - my jaw
is dropping - the library is building!

Val ;-)