Wikipedia American Sign Language

Adam Frost icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 21 03:13:41 UTC 2007

I'm gamed! :-)

Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: "Valerie Sutton" <sutton at signwriting.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 17:41:27
To:"List SignWriting" <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Subject: [sw-l] Wikipedia American Sign Language

SignWriting List
April 20, 2007

Hello SW List Members!

As you all know, recently there has been interest in creating a
possible ASL Wikipedia, or at least, the beginning of writing an
Encyclopedia in ASL...

Since we are new to writing and posting documents on the web, in our
SignPuddle 1.5 Literature Puddle online, I realize that this is a
very big leap forward, to start writing encyclopedia articles in ASL!

To write such an article, we would need to either choose an article
already written in another encyclopedia, and then translate it from
English to ASL and then write it in SignWriting in SignText...

or...

write it directly from our own knowledge of physics, or geography or
whatever the article is about!

This seems like a big new project, doesn't it?

Sooo...here is my thought...

Do we have volunteers to help us write one test-article for a new
encyclopedia written in ASL?

It will be our FIRST article for an encyclopedia in ASL...like a test
drive. Then we can show the document to those at Wikimedia and to
others too...It will be an historic and interesting adventure...

I know many of you are already overloaded with projects, so only
volunteer if you feel you have the time. We could create an
Encylopedia team of writers, and each person could take a small
section of the translation and writing...

And there is no rush and no deadline.

Plus we need to choose the one article we want to write...

But before we choose the article, is there anyone interested in
volunteering to write an article for an Encyclopedia?

Once we have a few volunteers, I will write to the Wikimedia language
committee to suggest that maybe they can choose one article for us to
translate from the Wikipedia in English online...

Those are my thoughts...

What are yours?