SVG version of our IMWA symbols

Jonathan duncanjonathan at YAHOO.CA
Wed Apr 25 23:19:27 UTC 2007

Valerie Sutton wrote:
> SignWriting List
> April 25, 2007
>
> Yes, that is correct. Steve Slevinski asked for the SVG version of our
> symbols for programming...so I will put that as a priority...it is my
> responsibility to finish the IMWA so we can move forward with SVG...
>
> It will take some time for me to complete the IMWA 1.4 in bitmaps, but
> I hope to do that this year, the sooner the better, and then the
> entire IMWA 1.4 will need to be placed into SVG...Machado has already
> done a lot of the symbols in SVG...so it is a matter of making sure
> that every new symbol is added to the current set of SVG...
>
> And I know there are different typeface designs that can be done in
> SVG, so there can be different writing styles of the same symbols and
> it may be that someday there will be different sets of SVG so we can
> choose typefaces...
>
> I read your message below, Jonathan, and the problem is, I am not a
> programmer. I just want to provide every programmer with what they
> need, to program using SignWriting.
    Val,
       I am glad you are working on getting the symbols to SVG as well.
I guess it really is the best option for the online community.  The
project that I am working in my spare time is using the PNG format which
are working very well for my needs.  I'm sure that Steve and Sandy will
be for of the first to use the SVG symbols and I probably will follow
not long after.

> I understand your concerns about SVG taking bandwidth, if you do not
> have a stable internet connection, and it may be that in countries
> where that is the norm, another version of the symbols in bitmap form
> will be necessary...I have to leave that to the programming experts...
After all, the SVG will probably the better way even if it couldn't be
cached because only a few or even one symbols needs to be downloaded to
do all 96 fills and rotations.

> SVG is easier than creating True Type fonts the old way...so I can see
> it has value, because the symbols look better on the screen and they
> reduce with better quality I believe...
BTW do you know if Stephan ever finished our sign names as fonts?

> Thanks for all your messages, Jonathan!
>
> it is hard to keep up with so many messages these days!
So many great lists to be eh? :-)

--

Jonathan & Yolaine Duncan