Sign Names in SignWriting ;-)

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Apr 30 23:05:59 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
April 30, 2007

Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> I noticed one thing related to my name sign. I typically put the
> contact symbols above the fist rather than under it. Is that
> incorrect or just a style difference?

Hi Stuart!
This is a good question...it is fine to do either way...whether the
contact stars are above or below still gives the correct information
for the reader...

But I am interested by this, because for reasons unknown to me, a
standard started to develop with Lucinda and other writers like
myself...we wrote the two stars underneath except for signs that are
directly on top of the head...and I became used to that...

And I am not sure if this is something that will become a standard or
not...time will tell...

If you go to the ASL Dictionary in SignPuddle and search for name-
sign, you will see a screen like this: