FLASH-THE-LIGHT

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Aug 3 23:42:19 UTC 2007

I would agree with something like that Adam as the movement from closed hand to open hand is specific and happens all over the hand and would be a neat thing to write.

Charles

Adam Frost <adam at frostvillage.com> wrote: When I brought up the scissor symbol, I didn't mean by itself. I meant like this. (or something like it.)

Adam

On 8/3/07, Charles Butler < chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com> wrote:Well, just because it's a rule doesn't mean it shouldn't be revisited from time to time to see if a more "elegant" solution would present itself.

Charles

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org > wrote: SignWriting List
August 3, 2007

On Aug 3, 2007, at 8:55 AM, Charles Butler wrote:
> The only problem I have with this is that it looks and feels like
> fingerspelling and that the hand is traveling to each shape at
> first glance.  Would stacking them work better?

Of course I can see how you might think that, but there was a rule
established on traveling and non-traveling fingerspelling years
ago...and it would apply to Flash The Light as well...

Fingerspelling is assumed to be in one place, if there is not an
arrow stating that it is traveling. And it is the same for the  sign
for Flash-The-Light, if the handshapes are written in a row left to
right, or in a vertical row, either way, if there is no arrow stating
that it is really traveling, then it assumed that it does not travel.
It stays in one place and the handshapes change.

If there is no traveling arm-arrow, there is no traveling arm
movement...

Here is an example of traveling and not-traveling
fingerspelling...see four examples in the one attached diagram...

 SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help

 SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help