why signwriting in 21st century

Thu Aug 9 03:48:04 UTC 2007

Hi Honza,

One word... "Literacy"!

Literacy is an amazing word.  It means the ability to read and write.
I've heard the term "ASL Literacy" and I shake my head.  They use the
word literacy to mean educated, but that's because of the history of the
word - only the educated could read and write.

Before you can appreciate literacy, you need to understand each skill
involved.  Reading is not a single skill, but 4 distinct skills that
build on one another.  The first level is elementary reading: the
ability to understand symbols individually, symbols together to form
word, and words together to form sentences.

The second level is inspectional reading.  How long would it take you to
read a 400 page book?  It really depends on the quality of the book.
Some books only deserve 5 minutes.  Other books deserve multiple
readings.  Inspectional reading assumes that  you have 5 minutes with a
book.  You read the cover, back page, the index at the back and the
table of contents at the beginning.  You then flip through the entire
book.  After 5 minutes you should be able to explain the basics of the
book, and you should be able to decide whether the book is worth your
time to read as a whole or in part.  If you only have 5 minutes with a
DVD, you'll probably still be navigating the menu.

The third level of reading is analytical.  Is it a practical or a
theoretical book?  Practical books deal with what works.  Theoretical
books have something to be understood.  The distinction is between
action and knowledge.  Theoretical books teach you that something is.
Practical books teach you how to do something.    Analytical reading
requires that you create an outline of the book, either in your head or
on paper.  It also requires that you come to terms with the author.  The
author will use words (or signs) in a certain way.  Understanding the
main words the author is using is of the utmost importance.  Next in
analytical reading is to understand the author's message.  Is his
message personal opinion or is it supported by reason.  Lastly, you need
to understand the author's solution.  Only then will you really
understand the book, and only then can you state that you agree,
disagree, or you're not sure about the author's message.

The fourth level of reading is syntopical reading.  Syntopical reading
involves more than one book and more than one author.  Syntopical
reading is really about discovering the shape of the discussion.  The
first step is to find several works that discuss the main idea.  The
next step is to understand all of the special terms the various authors
use that may or may not be the same.  Next you'll need to define the
questions and issues.  Only then can you understand the discussion at
large.

Writing is a whole other topic.  It includes penmanship, note taking,
outlining, freewriting, and editing.

Literacy change the structure and quality of the mind.  Merely watching
a video will never compare with active and skillful reading.  I find the
idea of pressing a record or play button equal in skill to the mastery
of literacy to be laughable.

This is an amazing time in history when book, pens, pencils, paper and
notecards are so cheap.  It's easy to underestimate the power of the
mind.  But a computer, no matter how fancy or flashy, will never compare
to what the skillful individual can achieve through the skill of literacy.

Regards,
-Steve