Quebec...Question writing sign PAPA

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Aug 16 01:36:01 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
August 15, 2007

Andre - I realized that my answer to you earlier today may have given
you the misimpression that all signs are like the sign for PAPA, but
actually the sign for FATHER or PAPA is an exception...(languages
always have exceptions....smile ;-)

FATHER is an exception because the hand is in front of the face, and
so because we have to move the hand above the face so we can see the
face, the thumb looks like it is far away from the top of the head,
when it really isn't...that is why we have to place the contact star
near the thumb, because otherwise we would not know what is touching
the head...

But most signs can show the hand very close to the place of
contact...so in those cases, we try to write the sign the way it
looks in real life, and then the Touch Contact Stars are written near
the place of contact....but they don't come in-between the hand and
the place of contact...

This Spelling Rule is called "Write the Position of Contact" and it
is important to read that on this web page:

Position of Contact
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/elessons/less063.html

here are two diagrams that are on that page that show what I
mean...you place the two contacting hands close to each other, rather
than being separated by the contact stars...