Quebec...Sign for CHAT

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Aug 18 05:38:59 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
August 17, 2007

On Aug 17, 2007, at 5:44 PM, Gagnon et Thibeault wrote:
> Do you read easily the sign "Chat" (cat)?  You will find the link
> below.
> http://www.signbank.org/SignPuddle1.5/canvas.php?ui=1&sgn=47&sid=53

Hello Andre and Kelly Jo!

Just like Kelly Jo, I can certainly read your writing of CHAT or
CAT....;-)

However, you asked about Spelling Rules, and since I know you are
writing signs that might be used in your dissertation, Andre, I would
like to introduce you to Spelling Rule 2...;-)

SignSpelling Rule 2: Every Sign Has A Center
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/elessons/less064.html

If I were writing that sign, I would follow that rule if at all
possible. Of course all rules have exceptions, and it is true your
writing is readable, but it would be better if you followed Rule 2...

Here is how it feels to follow Rule 2....

1. Write the beginning position of the sign. That becomes the
"center" of the sign. The beginning position places the hand near the
face like this: