SignSpelling Rules 1 and 2

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sat Aug 18 18:39:58 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
August 18, 2007

On Aug 18, 2007, at 11:14 AM, Gagnon et Thibeault wrote:
> It is not clear for me about the rotation arrows.  You gave me
> SignSpelling Rules for the signs "SIXTEEN"  and "OPEN"(ASL).  I
> notice that the top of the rotation arrows and the bottom of
> "10"handshape and "6" handshape place for the sign "SIXTEEN" . The
> top of two "flat"hands and the bottom of the rotation arrow place
> for the sign "OPEN",  Could you explain me the difference between
> SIXTEEN and OPEN regarding the position rotation arrow rule?

Hello Andre!
You are absolutely correct...you found an error, or at least an
"inconsistency" with the sign for 16 in ASL, which if we follow the
Rule on this web page:

http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/elessons/less074.html

...then the sign for 16 should have the Rotation Symbol under the
handshape, like the sign for OPEN as Andre points out...Thanks for
pointing that out to me! Whenever the rotation's curve is up, then
the symbol is generally placed above. Whenever the rotation's curve
is down, then the symbol is generally placed below....so there is no
reason that the number 16 cannot follow this rule too ;-)

You can see immediately, when looking at this diagram, that the sign
for 16 is the only one not following the writing rule!...

So thanks for telling me and I will re-write it shortly and show you
here on the List...