Writing Number 16 in ASL

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed Aug 22 18:40:48 UTC 2007

On Aug 22, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> Well, it is the 10 hand ... in concept ...  but when I actually
> produce the sign, the thumb of the 10 hand actually rests on the
> hand instead of being fully extended. In other words, the formal
> way to teach is 10+6, but in actual production (at least for me),
> the thumb of the 10 hand is not fully extended.  Does that make sense?
> Stuart

Oh yes...I fully understand that is the way you sign it...and it is
written well for that purpose ;-)

But should the formal writing of the number 16, in page numbers at
the bottom of publications like the Bible, and Cat in the
Hat...should that writing be formal or informal?

In other words, from a standardization point of view, for formal
writing documents, should we be writing the way one person produces
the sign, or the way the sign was built on 10 plus 6?

And actually my real question was related to the Rotation Symbol...is
it really needed in the formal writing of the sign when we can see
the rotation from position to position?

I wonder if these questions will ever be fully solved...there are
just so many issues involved with standardization!