AW: [sw-l] Writing Number 16 in ASL

Thu Aug 23 05:49:03 UTC 2007

Hi Valerie and sw-listers,

having read all the comments from Stuart, Adam, Cherie...

well it seems again as if I am the only one who would prefer a kind of
"clean" lexical entry -

the reason to show the extended thumb and the additional movement-arrow is
to allow a quick and easy reading!

It is interesting to me that sometimes additional signs (like this
movement-arrow) prevent any disturbance - well otherwise there are two hand
symbols presented and you have to figure out whether you are dealing with a
two handed sign, or a typo .., or what ??
In this case a right hand (indicated by the fill of the movement arrow) is
moving to the next position with a new hand shape - makes sense ...

Of course - Stuart - in fluent and everyday signing many lexical entries
would be changed in the actual performance (compared to co-articulation in
spoken languages) but that should not be an argument against pure lexical
entries so that a beginner or uninformed reader should get the chance to
start from a "secure" basis -

...and Valerie - yes I can understand your need to simplify spelling just in
order to get along with the space that is available at the end of a page -
hm .. nevertheless I would not drop symbols if that would lead to reading
problems ...

Just my thoughts --

Have a nice day everyone

Stefan ;-)