Writing Number 16 in ASL

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Aug 23 16:14:34 UTC 2007

On Aug 23, 2007, at 7:03 AM, Stuart Thiessen wrote:
> Well, for all of the 10+ signs (16-19), I always sign them with the
> palm facing the left, not the palm facing the chest. So if we wrote
> it that way, there is no way that it could be misunderstood as a
> two-handed sign. Personally, the more I think about it, the more I
> think that numbers like this really don't need the rotation symbol
> if the palm orientation communicates the same information. If the
> writing could be misunderstood as a two-handed sign, then the
> rotation arrow certainly will help to clarify. Those are my
> thoughts. So, I guess that means I like the bottom right too.
> Thanks, Stuart

Thanks Stuart and Ingvild for your input -
Since Stuart is signing the signs with the 10-hand palm facing that
is used in the number 10, then maybe that is the palm facing that
should be used for those signs...it is good to know this, Stuart,
thanks for thinking about this some more...I just added the possible
page number spelling to the ASL puddle online for us to choose if we
want...it is the third one in the attached diagram...

I appreciate this discussion everyone!  Val ;-)