First Draft of the Binary SignWriting proposal for 2008

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Sun Dec 2 18:43:29 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
December 2, 2007

On Dec 2, 2007, at 9:43 AM, Steve Slevinski wrote:
> I've created my first rough draft proposal for Binary SignWriting.
> This is the theory behind Unicode, SignWriting, SignMaker, and
> SignText.  There is a simple logic that makes it fast and small.
> I'd welcome any comments or questions.  I'm working on concrete
> numbers for the ISWA 2008.  This will be the official symbol set
> and SSS numbering for 2008.  Once the ISWA is official in January
> 2008, I'll publish the official base symbol encoding data.   Guides
> will be available for the BSE and BSW file formats.  All
> information on SignPuddle.net is under the Creative Commons
> Attribution ShareAlike 3.0 license. These standards will be set for
> the entire year of 2008.  During that time, we'll review the
> standards for a possible update in 2009. Thanks for you review...Steve

Hi Steve -
This is a good write-up, and important to my development of the ISWA
2008...

http://signpuddle.net/index.php?id=Binary%20SignWriting

Regarding the maximum numbers which you mention in this paragraph...

> Steve writes
> "The SSS is a 6 part number system. Here is an example SSS ID
> "01-01-001-01-01-01". This is a combination of "category" - "group"
> - "base" - "variation" - "fill" - "rotation". The max numbers for
> each are 8-10-50-5-6-16. For storage this would require 3-4-6-3-3-4
> bits each, or 23 total. This is an awekwered bit size. Instead of
> number parts, we can analyze the ISWA by meaningful parts."

So here is my question...
Do I need to be sure to not have more than 50 symbols within one
group, and not more than 5 variations for one symbol?

This is important for me to know, because some of the Movement Arrows
need more sizes...and the sizes are under Variations...at the moment
I don't believe we have more than three possible sizes for any one
Movement Arrow, but now that I will be expanding it to include more
sizes, I will make sure that there are not more than 5 sizes for any
one Movement Arrow...that should be enough and will give the writer
much more flexibility than what we have now...

So that's cool...;-)

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help