transcribing from video

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Tue Jan 2 02:41:00 UTC 2007

Another helpful tool related to viewing and analyzing video data is the
ELAN program. Very excellent software. It can be used to do linguistic
analysis, but what I like about it is that I can do the initial
analysis of a text to separate it into its logical parts. Then you can
just play back sections of the text and even have it loop again and
again. You can also adjust the speed of playback so that as it repeats
it also does it slower or faster.

Here is the link: http://www.mpi.nl/tools/elan.html.  The program is
available for both Mac and Windows. It is written in Java so it should
be pretty portable. It accepts video files in a Quicktime-compatible
format. So, it might not accept WMV quite as well.

Worth looking at for the analysis and transcription process. Maybe
someday we can actually write in SW in ELAN. Keep dreaming ... it will
happen. :)

Thanks,

Stuart