transcribing from video

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue Jan 2 19:09:56 UTC 2007

On Jan 2, 2007, at 7:48 AM, Kimberley Shaw wrote:
> You are correct in reminding folks that my query was really not
> about the technology, but more about the person's skills who is
> using that technology. I only mentioned your dance background
> because I think there is a similarity between how dance teaches you
> to notice tiny little details that a nondancing layperson would not
> necessarily notice ... similarly to how people who sign can read
> kinds of details (or very abbreviated signing) which a non- or
> novice-signer would miss.

Kim -
This is what I want to teach you...not the technology...but how I
started writing signs, from a dance background... I captured the
beginning and ending positions of each sign, and then wrote the
Movement in-between...that is how I write foreign signed languages I
do not know...This gives a detailed way to write each sign and then
later you can simplify the SignSpellings...that is what the Video
Transcription course will teach...taking the same video and we all
try to write it and can discuss the SignSpellings as we go along...