AW: [sw-l] Chicken Scratch

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 4 12:44:44 UTC 2007

And "good evening" means "hello" but "good night" means "good bye".

Neil Bauman <neil at HEARINGLOSSHELP.COM> wrote:
  Hi Stefan:

>thanks for this lesson - perhaps I will try to write an animated chicken
>doing his job at best as possible - just as chickens do!

Cheri and others have given excellent definitions of using "chicken
scratch" as a verb. But it is also used as a noun with yet another meaning.

When your German chickens scratch and find something to eat, that is
also known idiomatically as "chicken scratch" meaning something small
or not worth very much. For example, if I'm in a low paying job, I
might say that I'm just working for "chicken scratch".

You just have to love English idioms where a "fat chance" and a "slim
chance" are the same size, yet a "wise man" and a "wise guy" are opposites! LOL

Regards

Neil

Neil Bauman, Ph.D.
Center for Hearing Loss Help