Idiom translations into signed languages...

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Jan 4 17:03:37 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
January 4, 2007

Ha! These messages about American idioms are wonderful and very funny!

In Denmark years ago, I tried to learn some Danish idioms. If you
tried to translate those Danish idioms word-for-word into English,
they sounded so funny!

The famous one, for foreigners like me to learn is:

Like That Is It So Much

which means "That's the way it goes" or "That's the way it is" or
whatever...

Another Danish one could be translated as: I get up in the morning
before the Devil gets a chance to get his shoes on...which means it
is very early in the morning!

Years ago, a friend of mine who is an interpreter and skilled in
SignWriting...she wrote a whole bunch of English idioms in ASL...she
translated the English idioms meanings into ASL as best as possible,
and wrote them in SignWriting...too bad that was done before
computers and all written by hand, or I could share it with you...and
I don't even have a copy at the moment...

That kind of an Idioms dictionary in different signed languages could
be a useful tool someday...we could create a SignBank just for an
Idioms dictionary...

and yes...Cherie...I am happy you want to learn SignBank...that could
be our Lessons for March, 2007...

Val ;-)