Shane's Glowing Intro

Pauline Roberts capyboppy at UKONLINE.CO.UK
Fri Jan 5 12:46:35 UTC 2007

Thanks for the warm welcome Val.

I think I need to clarify though the difficulties I mean regarding the left
handed issues.  When I was learning the guitar, to move on from basic
chords I needed to find a chord book that had the chord boxes.  I don't
know if people are familiar with these, bout they are a square box like
grid, which represents the frets on the neck of the guitar, and also the
six strings.  You then have black or white dots representing where the
fingers go.  This has always been a problem as a leftie just can't look at
the box and instantly know where the fingers go.  Especially if a complex
chord.  We either have to keep going over each "dot" over and over again in
our heads til it sinks in where it would be, or if it is thin paper, look
through the reverse side to see. All this took time and was frustrating and
confusing for the learning.  I see a similar problem with Sign writing that
is already written down in the normal right handed format, as again, I
should imagine everything will need to be turned in reverse during the
learning process.  Like you say, writing it down by the leftie in a left
handed format would be no problem.  I do remember when learning new
vocabulary at level 1 BSL, I would write down brief descriptions at the
side of any words I thought I would have a problem remembering.  This was
fine until some of the others saw what I was doing and asked if they could
borrow/photo copy my notes.  When they realised the descriptions were left
handed it totally confused them and most of them decided to leave it, as it
would be more work having to convert everything to the opposite:-(  No easy
answer I suppose!