SW Handwriting Course Participants

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Jan 5 19:34:31 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
January 5, 2007

Jonathan from Honduras wrote:
> My wife wants to participate along with me.  We will both do the
> lessons though she may not participate actively in the discussion
> because she doesn't know very much English.  A few of my other
> students are thinking of joining, can I get back to you on that on
> Monday?  They won't be commenting either but I will post their work
> here and I will let them know what everybody had to say about their
> handwriting.

Yes, of course your wife and students are welcome...

Do they already know how to read basic SignWriting documents? It is
not a requirement, but it will help!

You can read SignWriting Children's stories in our Library.... Even
if it is in another sign language, like ASL, it still will give you a
little experience with reading SignWriting symbols before starting
the course...if there is a symbol you do not know, you can look it up
to learn more about that symbol...or ask us on the SW List to explain
it...

SignWriting Library
http://www.signwriting.org/library

I will assume, in this Handwriting course, that participants already
know the SignWriting symbols themselves...

This course will teach how to shorten the writing of symbols you
already know...

So if your students are beginners in SignWriting, they may find this
course a little overwhelming...

On the other hand, they are most welcome and maybe through this
course, they will choose to learn SignWriting in more depth, by using
SignPuddle to create their own signs...writing by computer can help
teach SignWriting and will help lay a foundation for handwriting
later...

To create you own signs in SignPuddle, go to this web page and choose
a country....then click on the SignMaker icon on the left of the
screen and start creating your own signs...

SignPuddle Online
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

Experiment with one of the empty SignPuddles...like the one for
Nigeria (for now)...there are no signs in that SignPuddle at all...so
use Nigeria right now to teach yourself how to add signs to the
dictionary and I will clean that up for you later ...we can make it a
Honduras dictionary later ;-)