Schools using SignWriting

K.J. Boal kjoanne403 at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 7 02:23:24 UTC 2007

>Hi Kelly Jo -
>I know you are coming to La Jolla, in San Diego, California, for the  CUNY
>Linguistic Conference at the end of March. I hope to be  presenting an
>Advanced SignWriting Workshop on April 1st, directly  after the conference,
>in La Jolla too, as you know...
>
>James is in Maine...and then there are teachers using SignWriting in
>Albuquerque, New Mexico and Georgia...I will give you those contacts
>privately...
>
>But there is quite a bit of documentation on the web. If a teacher or
>school wants free donated materials in ASL in SignWriting, ask them  to
>visit our Teacher's Forum on the web, and fill out the forms to  join the
>SignWriting Literacy Project, and once I receive the  paperwork then I send
>them some Children's stories and SignWriting  DVDs to get them
>started...plus software etc...
>
>SignWriting Teacher's Forum
>http://www.SignWriting.org/forums/teachers
>
>Read everything on that forum..there is a place to apply to join,  plus
>there is documentation from teachers and parents and students...

Thanks, but I'm not at that point yet.  Right now I need to collect material
to make presentations to schools for the Deaf here raising interest in
SignWriting... I need to show the educational advantages of SW before any
teachers here will consider using it.

>Dr. Cecilia Flood did her dissertation on Deaf children learning
>SignWriting in New Mexico, so I would suggest contacting Dr. Flood  for her
>full dissertation. One chapter of it is on the web at the  moment:
>
>Download number 68 on this web page:
>http://www.signwriting.org/archive/thumbnails/00022.html

Thanks, I'll do that!

>Plus numbers 69-72 on that page and the next one, are examples of  some of
>the New Mexico Deaf student's writing of ABC stories, I  believe...
>
>OK...I am now going offline for the weekend to prepare the  Handwriting
>lessons for Monday...
>
>See you all Monday morning California time!
>
>Val ;-)

Looking forward to it! :-)
KJ