SW Handwriting Course Lesson 1 Posted!

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Tue Jan 9 03:02:41 UTC 2007

SignWriting List
January 8, 2007
7:00pm California time

Hello Everyone!
Wonderful to see that some of you have already started the lessons! A
lot of fun to realize that..;-))

Sorry for the confusion about the one handshape I forgot to
teach...the index finger hand, parallel to the floor...

I will add that to the Lesson 1 now, so that will improve the lesson
and the confusion will be gone for future students...

Paul, sorry to have confused you...no...the top does not come off a
hand that has extended fingers...the topless symbols are only in
Group 10...the hands that are all thumbs...but do not have other
fingers extended...the topless symbol also exists for the E Hand too,
even though it is in Group 4...I am not sure you know the Group
numbers? so I will try to teach that in the Lesson I will prepare...

But do not worry, I will explain it in a clear lesson tonight and
post that tomorrow  California time (maybe not at 1:00 in the morning
though!)...so that improvement is coming...

Thanks for the feedback - it helps develop a better course...

I should have said that you can write page 8 in any sign language you
choose! Not only ASL...any sign language in the world...so go ahead
and write in Luxembourg Sign Language...is there such a language, or
is it a dialect of another sign language, like German Sign Language
or another close to Luxembourg?

Regarding your Sign Name...woops - you are right - because of email
we will know who you are - darn! Oh well...it was a fun idea...

The only way to make that work is if you all sent me privately your
scans and I posted the scans to the SW List...then you would not
know, but I would know - ha!

Thanks Stuart, for your nice comments...generally I think we are off
to a good start ...

Talk to you tomorrow -

And Stefan, thanks for offering to create a forum for
participants...that is very nice of you and I think that is a great
idea!