SW Literature Editing Committee

Kimberley Shaw skifoot at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 11 18:46:17 UTC 2007

Hello all:
I second both ideas below!
One of my personal SignWriting goals is to put the Wilkie Collins novel
"Poor Miss Finch" into ASL -- and I had wondered if a good way to do so
would be to "publish" it in installments online, chapter by chapter, and
have the ASL-fluent SignWriters give feedback on what they think. It would
be especially appropriate for this novel, I think, since it was itself first
published in installments back in the 19th century, and only later appeared
as a freestanding book!
Also, I would want to give readings to non-SignWriting Deaf friends to make
sure the ASL is OK. I hope that I can persuade the ASL/Deaf-studies program
I just enrolled in that this would be a good practicum for my hands-on
credit.
Why this novel (besides the convenient fact that it is out-of-copyright)?
Its whole premise is based on the author's opinion that the blind heroine is
not a pitiable "broken" person who needs to be fixed, but is a perfectly
fine and capable adult just the way she is. A very relevant point in the age
of the cochlear implant, I think!
Best of luck with Dr Suess, and the editing committee!
-- Kim from Boston